History of Nativity B.V.M. Elementary School

Nativity B.V.M. is one of the State accredited elementary schools administered by the Catholic Diocese of Biloxi.  Its history connects with that of Sacred Heart Academy which began in 1875, under the direction of the Sisters of Mercy.  By 1956 Biloxi had more children than Sacred Heart Academy could accommodate, so the newly constructed Nativity B.V.M. Elementary School opened its doors to 600 students in Kindergarten through Grade 6.

Responding to a need for extended care, Nativity B.V.M. School began its After School Program in 1988.

A dream came true in early 1995.  An anonymous donor purchased a building on Porter Avenue for use by the school.  During the summer months renovations were completed and Nativity’s pre-school program for children ages three and four opened its doors on August 16, 1995.  The pre-school classrooms were incorporated into the main  building beginning with the 2004 – 2005 school year.

Work began during the summer of 2001 on the Antonia Mavar Talijancich, R.N. Learning Center.  The Resource Center, graciously donated by Mr. and Mrs. Victor Mavar, provides a special place for the Learning Resource Program as well as for speech therapy, psychological/counseling services and tutoring programs.  It is our hope and dream that this  facility will provide a stepping stone to other programs for children who struggle or who simply want to learn more.

Nativity B.V.M. Elementary School was spared total destruction by Hurricane Katrina (August 29, 2005), although the auditorium was badly damaged.  Through the generosity of the Imperial Palace Mississippi Charities, a complete restoration of the space was completed in June 2006.  Renovations of the offices, library, cafeteria, first floor bathrooms and hallway flooring were completed during June/July 2006.

During the summer of 2007 the upstairs bathrooms were renovated, the gym awning was replaced, exterior lighting was upgraded and the school hallways were painted.  Upgrades to the heating/cooling system (eliminating window ac units) were completed during the summer of 2008.  Hallway ceilings were lowered and new lighting was installed.

Two grants provided improved playground facilities for our students.  A Project Fit Playground, sponsored by Blue Cross of Mississippi, was installed in the summer of 2009 and in the summer of 2010, a new playground for Preschool and Kindergarten was installed through a Gulf Coast Foundation Grant.

A tutoring program and a gifted program (Explore) were begun in August, 2012.